Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Like Past Lovers Do...

OK, I'll admit it -
I'm jealous of the way
you look at him, I know
he's my stand-in...

********

You wanna rap a new way, you say,
Like Past Lovers Do...past lovers do...

So shall I fade into the background now?
A fading picture in your gallery?

An echo spins past conversations
into the cosmic din
And the energy we had even
when our love was past, you
wanna diffuse it, let loose it
I send you a glimmer of it
But you refuse it, now...

I guess it was really all or none
And since I cannot love that way, luv
I'll take the latter and so like forgotten
friends we'll become as thoughts that
arise and pass between contemplative morning sips
of tea (or coffee), random faces that pass
along the background of our minds when
a memory is triggered by a song or a shape
or a dream of you naked underneath my
adoring spell, your scent upon me again
for an instant then gone...

But on the flip side:
You wanna deny the past
make it a one night stand with
a vulnerable man down on his luck,
like it was just a fuck, a fling, a tapenade,
french pastry, flaky golden brown
disintegrating when you bite, cannot
be eaten whole, but consumed
it will be nonetheless, unless
you spit me out baby...

You wanna disco night, drunken state,
blind date do over, a thing
Past Lovers Do: deny the real
because it's so much easier
to feel than the real...
ignorance is bliss, yes,
easier to forget a kiss than bliss, 'tis...

And so I'll let you have your release,
if it'll make you satisfied, I won't fight
you or beg you (to stay), no (more) drama,
no self inflicted pain, when someone wants
to walk away, I've learned to let 'em...

No comments:

Post a Comment